Combatting Human Trafficking
Since its earliest days, The Salvation Army has worked to free men, women and girls from the abuse and exploitation of labor and sexual slavery. Since May 2012, The Salvation Army in Central Ohio has taken a lead role in addressing and combatting the growing problem of human trafficking in the following ways:
- The Salvation Army in Central Ohio is proud to be the Coalition Manager for the Central Ohio Rescue and Restore Coalition, a network of over 100 organizations working together to raise awareness and strengthen our community's response to human trafficking. Visit the CORRC website or click here for the Coalition's calendar of events and volunteer training schedules.
- The Salvation Army's Anti-Human Trafficking Program serves as the primary victim services provider and offers these responses to the problem:
- a 24-hour in-person emergency response to assist victims
- Long-term comprehensive care to help victims become survivors
- Weekly Street Outreach to engage victims
- Weekly Drop-In Center, The Well, for women trafficked in the sex industry
- Safe, short-term housing to help victims escape their traffickers
- Trauma and addiction groups to help victims heal
- In partnership with the Ohio Attorney General's office, The Salvation Army secured a competitive Department of Justice grant to launch the Central Ohio Human Trafficking Task Force, a law enforcement/social services partnership with the following goals: Conduct investigations of human trafficking through a multi-jurisdiction law enforcement partnership. Identify victims of human trafficking and offer a comprehensive array of restorative services to
meet each victim's individualized needs. Enhance community capacity to identify and report trafficking crimes by conducting training, public awareness, and outreach activities.
To Report a Tip:
If you suspect someone is a trafficking victim, call The National Human Trafficking 24-hour Hotline at 1(888) 373-7888 to access Central Ohio's local response network.
For More Information:
Contact Salvation Army Case Workers Bryttani Barker at 614.358.2614 or Bryttani.Barker@use.SalvationArmy.org or Laura Sutter at 740-363-9487, ext. 215 or Laura.Sutter@use.SalvationArmy.org
Click here to see how you can help. Click here to view our list of volunteer opportunities and to sign-up for various activities.